Although we normally think of our lawyers are simply people who can fully explain the laws and court procedures theyre following when critical documents must be drafted and filed for us, they are also officers of the court and have other special responsibilities. We take our responsibility as advocates against domestic violence in Minnesota family law seriously.
Its in light of these additional duties that the Domestic Abuse Committee of the Family Law Section of the Minnesota Bar Association carefully researched and then approved a number of client screening questions in recent years. These are designed to help lawyers more fully meet the needs of clients with all kinds of child custody, divorce, and other family law issues.
Were sharing information about this screening process so youll know that we care enough to fully understand all that youre coping with when you seek out legal help. We will do all we can to help you feel comfortable about discussing any threats currently being made against you by your current or ex-spouse. We always maintain complete confidentiality regarding such matters only disclosing whats necessary to the court.
Types of Inquiries We May Make in Hopes of Fully Helping and Protecting You
- Stalking and harassment. We need to know if youre currently being harassed or stalked in any manner since this can make your life and that of your children quite dangerous. Once we get this information, we will seek whatever protective orders are required, after discussing your various options with you;
- Verbal threats can be as painful as physical blows. We will take all threats being made against you seriously. Its also useful if you can tell us what types of intimidating comments are being made to you. Far too often, physical violence follows on the heels of repeated verbal threats. Were here to advocate for you;
- Specific telephone harassment at work or calls made to childrens schools. Your current or ex-spouse has no right whatsoever to repeatedly call you at your job or make constant demands regarding the children by contacting the administrative or teaching staff at their schools. Please share this type of information with us so we can do all thats possible to help you and your children live normal lives;
- Refusals to let you as a spouse or the children regularly interact with other relatives. Abusive adults often demand complete control of other family members. They will also even try to isolate you from such people or your closest friends to deny you the type of support system we all need to function in a healthy manner. If youre being told you cannot interact with such people, please know that you can trust us with this information. You have legal rights in this area and well do our best to protect them;
- Please share information about past physical abuse, choking attempts or shoving or pushing episodes. These are never normal and they clearly indicate that you and your children are in danger;
- Some abusers will threaten suicide in an effort to control you and anything you try and do through the legal system. We will guard your interactions with us completely, taking care not to contact you in any manner that might put your privacy at risk. If necessary, we can arrange for you to do the majority of the contacting so that your spouse can remain fully unaware that you are in the initial stages of seeking legal help;
- Finally, please inform us about all past police interventions or responses to your 9-1-1 calls. We are fully aware that your safety and that of your children is most at risk once your abusive spouse learns that youre definitely planning to leave the marriage.
Please know that as your Minnesota family law attorneys, we will never be judgmental in regards to any abusive episodes you choose to share with us. We dont believe any adult has the right to demean or threaten any other adult or child, regardless of what marital status may still exist.
Our goal is to deliver all family law services you need so you can fully pursue and enjoy a healthy and happy future.
Free Initial Consultations
Contact the Flanders Law Firm today. I offerfree consultationsto all potential clients. Call(612) 424-0398.